Monday, February 28, 2011

Back again

Dear blog readers,


ugh! I feel like I have been away for--as we say in NZ--ages! I've missed writing and reading blogs. Unfortunately, I have limited internet where I am living at the moment. Also, I've been looking a little bit green around the gills lately. This past week I shut myself away, watching too much tv BUT reading a very good book. I believe that cancels out the tv watching. 
So while I've been at home think think thinking away, I randomly recalled this Picasso that my parents used to have. Ahh yes, Picasso was an old family friend... I joke, of course, but the truth is that it isn't so random, my thinking of the painting, that is. Besides feeling green, I've been feeling a bit blue as well. Homesick. I miss Auckland, The Long Bay Hills, and our friends there. I miss the states, my family and friends, my kitties, my mom's legendary cooking, and dare I say it, buying fruits and vegetables out of season. I hope saying this isn't making me look more green: a great big, green, Oscar The Grouch... Let's talk about something happy... The reason I really like this Picasso is fueled by my love of all pictorial devotions to beloved pets. So, I thought I would leave you on a brighter note with one my own: 
I call it, Girl in red with Cat or Stripes: love between a pet and his girl
Rhys Lake 
Circa 2010
xo,
Joy



10 comments:

  1. I hope you feel better soon! It must be hard to be so far from home. (Thinking about pets always makes things better.... he looks like an especially cozy kitty, too.)

    What book are you reading?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your nice comment, Emily. Yes, he's Wink; one of my three cuddly boys.
    I am reading The Distant Hours by Kate Morton. It's very intriguing. If you haven't read it yet, I think you would really like it. I feel for you with midterms approaching. I remember when I was studying media and english, just wanting to have time to read a book that I picked out haha. I did like a lot of what I read for school though. Do you have lots of reading or is it more writing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me nostalgic. Dad and I bought that picture at a flea market for $5 dollars. It was to decorate the walls of our first home. I had forgotten about it, now I'm sad we don't have it anymore. I would've given it to you.
    Love you and miss you, mom. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I don't think I've ever seen that particular Picasso. I love it. Also the photo with you and your kitty. But I don't love that you've been under the weather and homesick : (

    Praying for grace in the midst of it all...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wink - that's an adorable name and it fits him perfectly :)

    You did media and English in college?? Weird. That's basically what I'm doing (journalism and English)... we really do have parallel lives, haha. I've never read The Distant Hours, so I'll have to check it out... maybe during the summer. I know exactly what you mean about just wanting to pick up a book for fun, instead of for an assignment! :)

    Hope you're feeling better today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Paper Canary. . . adore this post! Do you mind if I do something similar, inspired by you and your mom, and link to you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't mind either Amy. I can't wait to see your post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great idea. I love that you posted about a painting that inspired you when you were young. It's nice to think about the different paintings that have effected me and being taken back to that moment in time...

    ReplyDelete