Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Paper Canary Film Review

When I was flying back to little Aotearoa ("Land of the Long, White, Cloud" aka: New Zealand) last month, I watched Mark Romanek's latest film Never Let Me Go. Being a Telluride Festival film, I was dying to see it and I was not disappointed.
 Never Let Me Go is broken into three parts following the lives of three boarding school friends Kathy (Carey Mulligan), Ruth (Keira Knightley), and Tommy (Andrew Garfield) from childhood into their early adulthood. Without giving too much away, the children are raised to believe that they are "special" and essentially born to serve a greater good. The film deals with themes of love, loss, jealousy, betrayal, and entrapment. On an even deeper level, Never Let Me Go also raises questions of medical ethics and the consequences of evil disguised as good intention.
The film has an undeniably stellar cast with Andrew Garfield, Keira Knightley, and my favorite up-and-coming girl, Carey Mulligan. Mulligan, as the narrator, brings so much strength and goodness to the story.
Never Let Me Go is both beautiful and haunting in a Bronte sort of way, though it is a science fiction piece. The scenery and mood are a perfect match and are masterfully sustained throughout the film. My only criticism is that I feel the trailer gave too much of the plot away. I went into the story knowing exactly what was going on and I wish it had been more of a secret. Even still, it is one I'd certainly watch again. 


(photo source)

11 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing this myself. I agree that the trailer gave too much away, but I'm still intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I watched the preview (never heard of this film before you reviewed it!) Are they clones??? It's okay to tell me - I always peek at the end of books : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. You give good movie reviews! Now I want to watch it :) The scenery looks beautiful, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I'm glad to meet a fellow basenji-lover... thanks for the kind words about my article!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joy, Leslie and Emily are like us...they watch movies and dissect them like we do. Of course Leslie would figure the clone thing out. People hate watching mysteries with us, Les. Joy and I know whodunnit in the first ten minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, they say things like "Stop talking, just watch the movie!" "How could you know that?" "He's too nice to be innocent? What does that even mean"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! Yes. They tell us things like, "I don't care if he's the brother of the actor in the J.J. Abrams movie" or "does it matter who the composer is right now?"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha, it's the ONLY way to watch movies!!! But in all fairness, I think Emily figured out the clone thing before I did : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joy,

    Lovely blog you have. I went to watch Never Let Me Go with Amber and Rohan and I cried at the end. I found it quite harrowing. Rohan said the bit that made him shed a tear was when Tommy gets out of the car towards the end (trying not to give too much away).

    Have you seen the Kings Speech yet - it's very good but then I do love Colin Firth!

    lots of love
    Simmy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Simmy :) Yes, just saw the King's Speech in the last few weeks. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete