Thursday, March 24, 2011

Red Velvet if You Please

Red, it’s such a wonderful color. Just think of all the lovely things that wouldn't be the same without it: rubies, roses, rosé, strawberry (fields forever la la ♫ ♪ Sorry, I couldn't help myself) poppies, cherry lemonade, M. Night Shyamalan films...the list could go on but before I stop droning, let's not forget red velvet cake. Given my recent baking and cooking woes, (i.e. not having a kitchen of my own etc) and with my Rhys out all yesterday, I decided to take advantage of the empty house and kitchen and bake a culinary masterpiece. Well, at least I hoped something along those lines. I think everyone should try red velvet cake at least once in their lives. Red Velvet recipes are easy enough to google. My only advice is never try recipes that try to make cake healthy. All things in moderation...
I hope you enjoy my photographic documentary.

Warning: Almost all creative endeavours require mess. Not for the faint of heart. My fingers are still a bit dyed. As I understand, the old, Dutch style of cocoa was originally responsible for the cake's striking red color. While some people still use that type of cocoa today, it can be difficult to find so red food coloring is a must.

Using a hand mixer was a bit of a mission. I dream of the day when I take home a yellow Kitchenaid mixer but alas, that day is still far off.
 I've never made a layer cake before, nor have I made a cake without a hole in it. So I think I overfilled the tins a bit but it wasn't fatal. On a side note, I can just hear my Mom's voice quoting My Big Fat Greek Wedding: "This cake has a hole in it!"

 Yum! Cream cheese icing really is, well, the icing on the cake.

In the end, my cake really did feel a little hounded by the paparazzi with Rhys and his cousin coming at it from all angles with their cameras flashing. I just blushed like a flamingo and sliced the cake but I love making people happy by cooking.
xoxo,
Joy

13 comments:

  1. M. Night Shymalan films - hahahahaha.

    Your cake looks like it stepped out of a Martha Stewart magazine... especially with that lovely cream cheese icing on it. Yum.

    P.S. Thanks for your sweet comment on my article! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love love LOVE your blog. You are too funny. Your cake, on the other hand, is not. It's quite a masterpiece!

    As for your choice of paint colors for your room, can I just say you have a wise and clever mother, and you were wise and clever to listen to her? I, on the other hand, was determined to forge my own way in the choice of paint colors, and we all know how THAT turned out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I'm singing Strawberry Fields Forever. . .

    Looks delicious! So interesting about how red velvet originally got the red.

    Love your line about creative endeavors requiring a mess. I need to embrace that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you like the "popa-popa-popa-razzi" I've never made a cake as gorgeous as that, really. I love the height of it. Martha Stewart's gnashing her teeth, I'll bet. And I hope Rhys realizes what a domestic goddess you are. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I'm with you and Amy singing "Strawberry Fields Forever" while enjoying reading your post on that YUMMY looking cake...one of my favorites! So pretty.
    Me my Mom, her Mom and on and on are all happy when in the kitchen baking up goodies to please others, it's one way to show our love.
    Sounds like you and your Mom share in that love too!
    blessings dear one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cake looks wonderful and those pictures capture the process well!

    I agree-- a cake should not be too healthy. I'm always disappointed when my grandma makes carrot cake for dessert. It tastes good, but I would much rather eat the carrots and cake separately!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks delicious. I love that scene in My Big Fat Greek Wedding where they put the potted plant in the middle of the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This cake deserved many shots and views! It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. NO WAY, joyseph! I've been thinking about making red velvet cake for ages but something has always come up! I now have to make it soon, you've inspired me once again. So the menu will be at some point: homemade sauce and spaghetti and for dessert red velvet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for all the lovely comments. You are all too sweet :)

    Beks: That's exactly what I made. It's a very red but satisfying dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. whoah..you should of entered Masterchef :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cute! Probably my fave post so far...love red velvet cake. I'm sure it tasted amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Joy,
    I just wanted to say congradulations to you and Rhys on your baby! How exciting. I love the red velvet cake. It looks so pretty and delicious. Bye now! Love, Mary Drennen

    ReplyDelete