Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Hazzah!

Tuesday nights are a very exciting night for me now that Downton Abbey has finally made its way to little New Zealand. In my quiet life of no longer working full time and waiting for the not-so-quiet Baby Lake to come, I now cross my fingers every Tuesday and hope that nothing comes up to take me away from some quality time with the TV.


While I was visiting my family over Christmas, I was able to catch the first two episodes. Since I couldn't watch it online, and  with much of New Zealand television dominated by Australian and American programs, I was beginning to lose hope of seeing anymore for quite awhile. However, since Downton Abbey was such a success in the UK, it seems that makes it a worthwhile investment for little Aotearoa. *Cue Händel's Hallelujah.* What's more, the ad campaign for it is HUGE! The series trailer, which airs frequently, has a children's choir version of The Police's "Every Breath You Take." Creepy but fitting. TV Guide also did a huge piece on Downton Abby's debut. All the publicity makes sense considering Downton Abby is Britain's most expensive drama ever produced, as well as its most successful period drama since Brideshead Revisited. 
Now the show is finally here and I am loving it. Afterwards, Rhys has to hear me wax on about how stellar Downton Abbey is and how I love the focus on the servants, particularly the hierarchy that exists among them and the relationship between them and the family. Good thing he is such a willing listener. He even (sort of) watches it with me. I'm afraid to say he wasn't as receptive of my confession, yesterday, that one of my favorite characters is Thomas the footman. I know, I know; he's not at all noble but he's a very dynamic character. He reminds me of my cat, Panger Ban; with his perpetually smug expression and the way he always seems to be eavesdropping or at least, up to no good. Besides, isn't the sign of a good story is one in which you have an irresistible attraction to scallywags?
I am especially looking forward to next week's episode since it will be one I haven't seen yet. Unfortunately, by the time all of you across the pond are watching the second installment, I will only be finishing the first *sigh.* 

13 comments:

  1. I hope you don't continue to like Thomas. He's no Doc Holiday. BTW, is Rhys a scallywag? Heehee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww snap, you beat me to talking about DA on your blog! Oh well, dibs on BBC Sherlock when it comes back ;) Glad Rhys likes the show too, somewhat. And you like Thomas? Hmm...I don't care much for him, but I have a weird sympathy for him at the same time. Are you watching the third episode next week? If so, then boy are you in for a roller coaster. ^.^

    ~Bron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and by the way, the song you were talking about--Every Breath You Take--I did some research. That version is by Scala & Kolacny Brothers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZICJ2ZPh63Y&feature=related
    Just thought that might interest you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you like Thomas, you may also like the Turkish prince who comes to visit!

    Oh I loved Downton Abbey, it reminded me of the BBC documentary Manor House - watching Manor house before Downton Abbey brought the whole dichotomy of the wealthy owners/the servants to life, and it also made the servants so much more charming.

    Bron, if you want to do a blog post on Downton Abbey, I'd love to see it! Every person takes something different out of each experience, so I'm sure your post would be unique from this one. By the way, I follow your blog too, but I don't nag you about making new blog posts because I know you are busy with all the other work you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY FOR DOWNTON ABBEY! :) I'm glad it finally made its way to you and Baby Lake. What episode are you on now? (Just wait until the season finale. It's a cruel cliff-hanger.)

    Thomas, eh? Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa and I loved it! Saw it on Netflix!! Thomas gets under my skin and I want to smack him like all the time. I love how they focus on the servants lives as the families. I love the father. He's an amazing actor, i've seen him in a lot of stuff. But the character he plays, I just love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha Mom and Charla, you are bad. You know I'm not saying that I have a crush on Thomas or that I think he's nice. I like his character because it has dimension; he's a good depiction of a baddie while still being realistically human. He has the perfect face for the part. AND, he is so Panger Ban-like. Also, I said the sign of a good STORY not real life is the likable scallywag. Rhys might fit that description every now and then hee hee.

    @Charla, I agree; it is much like Manor House, which I enjoyed for the same reasons. Also, I think I know the Turkish Prince in question and no, again, I like Thomas's character not him as a person.

    @Bron, you are not bad and at least understand what I mean. I also think you should do your own piece on Downton Abbey.

    @Emily, me too! Episode 3 is next week. I'm soooo excited. I remember you saying it was a cliff-hanger. You're a writer Emily, maybe you understand what I mean about Thomas?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thomas is just plain oily. Which I guess proves your point. He's a villain I love to hate! And good for your Rhys for keeping an eye on you while you watch it ;) My husband never watched these kinds of shows before he married me, but I've won him over to the dark side... now he even likes Austen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The actor who plays Thomas played a super creepy alien in Dr. Who. Now I can never look at that guy without getting the heebie-jeebies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahaha Leslie, oily is the perfect word. He is the perfect villain. All the characters are so good. Awesome that your husband watches all the period dramas with you too. I am always telling Rhys how I love that he is willing to watch my girly shows with me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know what you mean about villains - it's really hard to write one that's absolutely despicable but still human, not an exaggerated caricature of a bad guy. Like Edmond in "King Lear." The guy was awful, but I couldn't help being completely fascinated with his character. And whoever plays Thomas does an amazing job at being creepy.

    Also, can I just say that I love the name Panger Ban? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Exactly! I've also always had a soft spot for Templeton the Rat from "Charlotte's Web."

    Thanks :) Since he is the third addition to our cat brothers, my Mom wanted to pick out one of our cat's names. Panger Ban was the name of a cat belonging to an 9th century Irish Monk. He wrote a poem about his cat. You might have seen "Secret of the Kells"? Unfortunately our Panger isn't as peaceful or constant but he is a cutie.

    ReplyDelete